Sea Tales back
- Despite having razor sharp teeth, sharks can’t chew. They use their sharp teeth to seize and hold prey while swallowing it whole or in large pieces.
- The Anabas fish of South Asia has special oxygen-absorbing gills that allow it to leave the water and walk on land. It has even been known to climb trees.
- Whales can make sounds that can be heard up to 853 km away. That’s almost the distance between Seoul and Osaka!
- Dolphins jump out of the water to conserve energy – it is easier to move through air than through water.
- Lobsters can live for a hundred years – if they don’t get eaten first!
- Giant squids can grow as long as a double-decker bus and have the biggest eyes of any animal that has ever lived.
- The Archer fish catches its lunch by shooting pellets of water. It has been known to drown a cockroach at a distance of one and a half metres.