Our Amazing Earth back
- The Sun has enough energy to burn for about another 5 billion years, but if it suddenly stopped shining, it would take 8 minutes for people on Earth to be aware of it.
- The average raindrop falls at about 11kmh.
- Raindrops cannot form unless there are tiny particles such as dust, pollen or smoke to form around. If the air was perfectly clean, there would be no rain
- 16 million storms happen each year. At any given moment, there are 1800 thunderstorms occurring around the world. That’s nearly 100 storms for every single second.
- A bolt of lightning travels at about 116 million km/h and generates temperatures five times hotter than those found on the surface of the Sun. It has enough energy to toast 160,000 pieces of bread in 1 ten-thousandth of a second.
- The energy in one hurricane is equal to about 500,000 atomic bombs.