Feline Family back
- Cats are all related so your pet cat is actually a cousin of a lion, cheetah and tiger.
- All domestic cats are descendants of a small wildcat called Felis silvestris so Felix and Sylvester would be very accurate names for a new kitten!
- In Ancient Egypt, when royal people were buried, many of them buried their pet cats with them to keep them company in the afterworld.
- When your pet cat rubs its face against you it is actually placing its scent on you. This means that it is marking you as part of its territory. In the wild, big cats such as lions and tigers also do this to show that an area belongs to them.
- Cats use body movements to communicate. They roll on their backs to show affection when they feel they are completely safe, and rub each other’s heads to show that they are friends and do not intend to fight.